Raymart Santiago Maintains He Never Hurt Claudine BarrettoThe court has decided there was "probable cause" to charge actor Raymart Santiago with physical abuse cases in relation to him allegedly beating up his estranged wife, Claudine Barretto. Raymart, however, is denying these accusations.
He never hurt Claudine during the time they were still living together, his camp added. Raymart is now facing two counts of violation of RA 9262 or Violence Against Women and Their Children Act.
Atty. Ruth Castelo, Raymart's legal counsel, questioned why there were no indications of the two instances that Raymart allegedly hurt Claudine.
The lawyer even said that the resolution contains findings favorable to Raymart until only the last paragraph, which stated that he will be charged with physical abuse.
Atty. Ruth also criticized the way the court did not consider Raymart's presented evidence that he did not hurt Claudine during the time of their marriage. The actor's camp is ready to file a motion for reconsideration.
The Marikina City Prosecutor's Office did not look into the "credible" evidences and eyewitness accounts submitted by Raymart, the lawyer said. Instead, it decided to weigh heavily on Claudine's unverified documents and self-taken photos.
"Nevertheless, we are resolved in having this accusation dismissed for being just one of the countless untruths told about Mr. Santiago."
Raymart can post a bail of P4,000 for the two counts of physical abuse charges. Claudine filed these cases on August 29 last year after Raymart left their marital home in the midst of the former actress' alleged drug addiction problems.
According to Claudine's affidavit, she suffered physical, psychological and sexual abuse on the hands of her estranged husband.
Raymart earlier denied these accusations, and challenged Claudine to release her evidence to the public.