Up Graduate Ariella Arida Wins Binibining Pilipinas-universe 201324-year-old UP graduate Ariella Arida won the Binibining Pilipinas Universe title last night, April 14, at the Smart-Araneta Colisuem in Quezon City.
Watch: Binibining Pilipinas Coronation Night
Laguna's pride Arida, who stands 5'7.5", will represent the Philippines in the next Miss Universe competition.
Aside from winning the most coveted title of Miss Universe Philippines, she also won the Best in Swimsuit award.
Arida, a.k.a. candidate #41, is a BS Chemistry graduate from the University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB). She has previously competed in Miss Earth Philippines 2013. She enjoys outdoor sports including swimming, volleyball and running. She considers Miss Universe 2010 fourth runner-up Venus Raj as her idol.
During the question and answer portion, Arida was asked the following question from Dir. Gen. Allan Purisimo: “Give one lesson about life that women can teach men.” to which she responded, "One lesson in life that we, women, can teach men is being sensitive. Because we all know that men are more logical when it comes to decisions. They usually are more rational, straight forward. Unlike we, women, we use our heart and we tend to get emotional in some of our decisions... For me, sensitivity is something that we can teach men."
Meanwhile, 23-year-old Bea Santiago was declared Bb. Pilipinas-International title while Joana Cindy Miranda, a Thomasian like Janine Tugonon, is Bb. Pilipinas-Tourism.
Bb. Pilpinas-Supranational went to Johanna Datul of Isabela. Pia Wurtzbach of Cagayan de Oro, who is a member of ABS-CBN’s Star Magic, was hailed first runner-up. Special Awards:
- Best in National Costume: Maria Teresita Alaine Baccay
- Miss Photogenic: Mutya Johanna Datul
- Best in Long Gown: Mutya Johanna Datul
- Bb. Petron: Joanna Cindy Miranda
- Friendship: Lourenz Grace Remetillo
- Talent: Anna Carmela Aquino
- Best in Swimsuit: Ariella Arida
- Manila Bulletin Readers’ Choice: Ellore Noelle Punzalan
- Cream Silk Beyond Beautiful Woman: Joanna Cindy Miranda
- Bb. Avon: Bea Rose Santiago
- Bb. Philippine Airlines: Nicole Kim Donesa
- Bb. Pilipinas-PAGCOR: Imelda Schweighart
- Bb. San Miguel Zero Fit and Sexy Body: Pia Wurtzbach
The other top 15 finalists: Imelda Schweighart; Grace Yann Apuad; Charmaine Elima; Rhea Nakpil; Amanda Navasero; Noelle Punzalan; Camille Nazar; Mariel de Leon; Joyce Respicio; and Parul Shah.Bb. Pilipinas Gold, aired on ABS-CBN, was hosted by Martin Nievera and Dawn Zulueta along with Ms. Universe 2010 4th runner-up Venus Raj and Ms. Universe 2011 3rd runner-up Shamcey Supsup.